This article is about affordability of Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central (D365BC) ERP system. D365BC license types, richness of functions, scalability and upfront costs are discussed.
1. License Types
There are four major types of D365BC licenses:
- Team Member – this is the license for users who only need to be able to read the data (e.g. a manager or a sales person may only need to run a financial report) or be able to perform a limited number of actions (e.g. a field worker may only need to create a time sheet or prepare a quote, etc.).
- Essentials – this license type is for users who need to be able to read, create and otherwise manage the data (e.g. operation department members, accountants, IT admins may need to post a sales invoice, issue a corrective credit memo, process general G/L journal, etc.).
- Premium – this license is for companies that use Manufacturing and/or Service Modules. It includes all the advantages of the other two license types and also gives access to the setups and pages necessary to run the manufacturing (e.g. set up BOMs, Routs, complete a production order, etc.) and service (e.g. set up service items, issue a service order, etc.) modules.
- External Accountant – up to three (3) External Accountants can be invited to D365BC. Similar to Users with an Essentials License, External Accountants can perform a lot of actions in the system; unlike Users with an Essentials License, however, External Accountants are unable to perform certain system administrative tasks.
To learn about D365BC license prices, modules, financial reporting / budgeting capabilities and the industries & sectors it serves or to estimate its implementation cost and savings, visit the corresponding page or contact us.
It is possible to combine Team Member with any other two license types. However, it is impossible to combine Essentials with Premium licenses. For example, it is possible to purchase three Team Member licenses for field workers and two Essentials licenses for the accounting manager and inventory manager, but it is impossible to also purchase Premium licenses. In other words there can only be one major/full license type in the system – either Essentials or Premium.
Importantly, D365BC licenses are more affordable than other Microsoft ERP systems, such as D365F and D365SCM. Moreover, educational institutions (students and faculty members) and nonprofit organisations get discounts on all license types making D365BC even more affordable for them.
2. Rich Features
D365BC is well known for its easy, quick and flexible financial reporting and other features. Users are able both to run and to create financial reports, generate complex inventory, job/project/service and other data. The user interface which may be familiar for people who use other Microsoft applications (e.g. Excel), make the work comfortable and efficient. It is also possible to modify the interface for added efficacy. Free documentation, forums and educational videos from around the world are available to all D365BC users.
Microsoft Power Platform (incl. Power BI, Power Apps, Power Automate and Power Virtual Agents) integrates seamlessly with D365BC. Other Microsoft products (e.g. Outlook, Excel, etc.) and beyond can be integrated through the open API or with the help of Power Automate if API is inaccessible and to further improve efficiency and effectiveness of workflows.
Creating financial reports, processing complex business data, integrating with Power Platform and using other features of D365BC can be achieved without any external (developers’) help; therefore, companies using D365BC can save time and money by taking advantage of the rich functions without having to deploy other software or requesting external help.
D365BC is scalable – it grows with the company. This ERP system can sustain the growth quantitatively (e.g. more users, more companies, more integrations, more financial reports, etc.) and qualitatively (e.g. new modules, new environments, new features, etc.).
It is also possible to scale the system down. This may be necessary, for example, to increase efficiency and to decrease the monthly license cost. For instance, it is possible to start using 4 Team Member and 4 Essential licenses instead of 8 Essentials licenses. It is also possible to have one device license (e.g. workshop computer) instead of 50 individual licenses for each workshop worker.
Thus, companies can easily scale up or scale down D365BC to be more efficient and keep the system more affordable this way.
4. $0 Upfront
There are three popular hosting environments on which D365BC can be deployed: on premises, on Azure (AKA “Personal Cloud”) and on Cloud (AKA ‘SaaS’). On premises deployments require hardware and software infrastructure (the server, the backup environment, etc.) in place before installing D365BC. This option usually requires in-house IT department to manage the infrastructure. Thus, the infrastructure and its maintenance, need to be budgeted for additionally by the companies planning to host D365BC on premises.
Azure deployments of D365BC require no hardware infrastructure, but do require software installation and proper environment setup to meet the business needs. Therefore, while this method allows companies to save on hardware, some upfront cost (to prepare the environment – usually taken care of by a Microsoft Partner, such as Edocation), is needed.
Lastly, on Cloud hosting environment is an easy and cost effective way of getting started with D365BC as it requires neither hardware nor software infrastructure. Moreover, even D365BC deployment can cost $0 with Edocation packages.
Thus, it is possible to meet business objectives by deploying D365BC on premises, on Azure and on Cloud. The cheapest way is usually on Cloud deployments which Edocation can implement starting from $0.
D365BC is an affordable ERP system. Its licenses are available starting from $10.20 CAD per User/month; students, faculty member and nonprofit organisations may get their license even at a lower price. Rich features of the system help increase value per each dollar spent. This ERP software scales up and down easily to meet business needs efficiently and effectively. Finally, $0 upfront cost ensures that small, medium and big companies can get started with Microsoft D365 Business Central on budget.
Edocation team helps Canadian companies implement D365BC in the most efficient and cost-effective way. To discuss the ERP requirements of your business and what ERP savings your company may be eligible for, contact us.
1. Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central: Discounts & Promotions
2. How to Save on Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central (ERP) Implementation
3. Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central (D365BC) License Calculator
A. Microsoft Dynamics 365 Pricing website